ABATE of New York Inc.
Monroe County Chapter
Legislative Coordinator, Monroe County ABATE
Bill Status: 1-800-342-9860 (recording)
New York State Bill Searches
(Search for current status)
Full Text of Bills - 111th Congress (Previous years
The legislative committee will be active in working at the Federal, State and
local levels. ABATE of Monroe County and this committee needs the support
and involvement of it's members at whatever level you can help at to achieve
Federal legislation will consist of:
- Decreasing the funding to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
- Recommending that the state and county takes full advantage of the funds
provided from the Transportation Equity Act for the 21st century (TEA21) legislation.
- Recommending that the Department of Transportation change the standards
for the manufacturing of motorcycle helmets to reduce fatigue and overheating.
On the State level we will:
- Continue to support Amendments to the helmet law.
- Support the Thruway toll reduction bill.
- Support off-road vehicle trail funding.
- Continue our efforts to get legislation introduced to stop motorcycles from
being banned from streets in New York State.
- Work towards getting The Department of Motor Vehicles to do motorcycle road
testing on Saturdays and in the evening.
- With the help of the Motor Cycle Safety Foundation work towards amending
the requirement that helmets be reflectorized.
- Request the removal of handle bar height restrictions.
- Fight to stop the impounding of motorcycles for nonmoving violations.
- Support the Motorcycle Statistical Reporting Bill.
Locally, we want:
- To repeal the mandatory towing of vehicles in Rochester for violations of
the noise ordinance.
- The repeal of non-decibelized noise ordinances in the towns of Greece, Chili
and the 55 decibel maximum noise ordinance in Mendon.
- To resist all town noise ordinances that discriminate against motorcyclists
both on and off road.
- To become politically active in the 131st Assembly District.